Thursday, February 22, 2018

Stagg Electric Upright Bass...arrived!

The Stagg electric upright bass I mentioned in a previous blog finally arrived after bring lost in UPS land for several days, arriving a week later than it was supposed to. Nothing like losing a 6 foot tall,  45 pound package! I'm just happy it was found at all. My fear was that some UPS worker found out what it was (especially when it's shipped in packaging with a picture of the item on it) and decided to have a jam session with it somewhere in Georgia (that's the last place it was scanned before disappearing). Everything was intact, however, when I opened the box, so all is well on that front.

On to the bass itself...

Stagg Electric Upright Bass
This electric upright looks and sounds good as all the reviews claim. The only issue I have with it has to do with the hip rest attachment. It places the bass too far away from my body to play comfortably. That being said, it's perfectly comfortable to play this bass without the attachment. It moves a bit when I'm playing arco (with a bow), but not enough to really complain about. I lowered the bridge action as far as it would go, and that really helped playability of the instrument for someone with small hands like myself. I wish the neck were a little less wide, but again, that's only because of the size of my hands.

The electronics are okay, and if any improvements could be made, that's the one I would suggest the most. I'm still trying to find the balance between the volume knob and the sub bass control knob in combination with my Ampeg Micro-CL amp. If the sub bass control is up in the least, the bass no longer sounds as much like an upright. The headphone jack option is cool for practicing in the living room when the rest of my family is watching TV, but I haven't tried the auxiliary jack yet. The pickup is powered by a 9-volt battery and is easily accessible, so I don't forsee any problems there.

My 11-year-old daughter messing around on the Stagg electric upright bass
My 11-year-old daughter is learning bass guitar and even she can play this electric upright with relative ease since the bottom peg adjusts to whatever height is needed.

Overall, I'm pleased with the Stagg Electric Upright Bass. I ordered mine through Big Apple Music in New Hartford, NY (via Reverb) and they offered a hardshell case option (along with the gig bag that usually comes with it), a German bow, and extra cables for $699. I couldn't find this deal anywhere else online, so if you want a few extras for a great price, check them out on Reverb or visit their shop online.




My 11-year-old daughter messing around on the Stagg electric upright bass



Stagg electric upright bass in hardshell case

No comments:

Post a Comment