Monday, February 12, 2018

Stagg Upright Electric Bass...on the way

My upright bass from 2007


Once upon a time (in 2007), I took double bass (aka upright bass, contrabass, bass fiddle) lessons in college, and as a result, I bought the cheapest, local upright bass I could find. The neck felt like a 2x4, but hey, it played okay and I didn't have much cash to spare at the time being a night/weekend college student and full-time mother of two small children in diapers. I'm not sure how it happened, but I somehow managed to fret away (haha) my private lessons talking about gear, learning very little on the actual instrument. By the end of the semester, we were jamming together to Led Zeppelin tunes--with me on electric bass instead of upright. I regret not learning more than I did, especially since I was invited to play upright in the local community band by the head of the music department. (Of course, he didn't know what he was asking since he hadn't heard me play upright). Soon after, I sold my upright bass (it never left my townhouse the whole time I had it) to a lady who wanted instrumental wall decor and continued to focus on the electric bass. I swore that one day, I'd return to the upright bass (when my kids were older) and learn to play it as well as the electric bass. My kids are now thirteen and eleven years old, so I figure the time has come. Yesterday, I ordered a Stagg EDB-3/4 electric upright (for portability) and I'm waiting (im)patiently for it to arrive. I've read good reviews about this bass and I'm excited to see what I can do with it when it arrives (hopefully by next week). Stay tuned!

Stagg EDB-3/4 electric double bass

 

Read the specs here.


No comments:

Post a Comment