Friday, February 9, 2018

Fender Mustang (PJ) Bass (2017)

Not sure what it is about being bedridden with a bad cold, but I tend to make large purchases when I'm in bed for long periods of time (once in a blue moon). This last month was no exception. A new issue of Bass Player magazine came in and flipping through its pages, I came across a review of the new Fender Mustang bass (with PJ pickup configuration). Since I bought my Gibson SG bass, I've been stuck on short-scale basses. I've had several Fender basses before and I have to admit that after playing them for a while, I always decided to sell them in favor of basses more comfortable to my smaller hands. Hence, the short scale bass. Until I read the review in BP magazine, I hadn't realized Fender made any short scale basses. After watching a few video reviews on the newer model of the Fender Mustang bass, I got on Reverb and ordered one. The following Saturday, it arrived, and after slapping some flat wound strings on it (I only play flat wounds these days), it was ready to go. As much as I love my Gibson, I have to say that this bass is a little more comfortable to play, neck-wise. It sounds great, especially with the toggle set in the middle to activate both jazz and p-bass pickups. It weighs a bit less than my Gibson too, so it has become my go-to if I'm just practicing at home.



Fender Mustang Bass PJ (2017) in Olympic white w/mint green pickguard

Fender Mustang Bass PJ (2017) in Olympic white w/mint green pickguard

Fender Mustang Bass PJ (2017) in Olympic white w/mint green pickguard


Read more about it from Fender.


Here's a little video of me messing around on it with Brad. (I'm running it through my Ampeg Micro-CL 100-watt amp).





No comments:

Post a Comment