Friday, October 7, 2011

Poppin' and Slappin': Is It Necessary?

Scanning through youtube videos, I found that almost every decent girl bassist is poppin' and slappin'. And don't get me wrong, there's a time and a place for that style of playing, but it seems like many bassists do it all the time.

I don't know if these players just prefer that style of playing, or if they have other motivations. Perhaps they think it makes them sound like an awesome bassist. Personally, I think it's overdone. I don't pop and slap, not because I can't or don't like the style. I don't pop and slap because every other player is doing it to death, especially female bassists on youtube.

I feel that the most important thing with playing bass is versatility. To be able to play a large array of styles is better than only being able to pop and slap...even if it does sound cool.

Just a thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment