Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Practice Techniques

I'm currently taking a 12 week online course (http://www.instituteofbass.com/) in Jazz Bass Lines. This is week 3, which includes the scalar approach, and more scales. Anyway, I'm trying to work out a good practice routine. According to this course, 20 minutes or more of practice time every day is the best method, time-wise, rather than devoting an hour or more, once a week.

Some of the things I'm trying to incorporate into my practice time are scales (boring, but necessary), playing along to a drum loop with improvisation, going over the week's music for church (which includes music by Hillsong, Free Chapel, Jon Egan, and New Life Worship), and learning new music.

One book/CD set I've found absolutely incredible for my practice time is Bass Grooves by BackBeat Books, and can be bought at http://www.amazon.com/Bass-Grooves-Develop-Groove-Softcover/dp/0879307773/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1258505986&sr=8-1

No comments:

Post a Comment