Tuesday, November 17, 2009

My search for the perfect amp...perfect amp for me, anyway

So, I currently have an Ampeg 4x10hlf cab (American-made), but lack a head to go with it. I tried an Ampeg 450h (not American-made) for a few months, but just couldn't get the sound I wanted out it. I really want a tube pre-amp at the least, which the 450h didn't have.

I previously owned an SWR 350x head, along with a Son of Bertha 15 inch cab (pre-Fender), and a Goliath III 4x10 cab (pre-Fender). I loved the cabs, but wasn't too crazy about the head, so I ended up getting rid of the whole rig. I love SWR, but haven't found a head that I like enough to buy.

My current interest is in a Genz Benz shuttle (the 6.0-12T). I've played one at Corner Music in Nashville, and that baby can really put out to be such a small package (32 lbs. with 12 inch speaker cab). You can check out the specs here: http://www.genzbenz.com/?fa=detail&mid=2258&sid=610&cid=95 and view a taste test on youtube here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjjwT8u6Fuc


Because I don't need an amp everywhere I play (the church I play at runs me through the house [boooo!!!!]), I really don't need anything louder than 500-600 watts. I mainly just need a light-weight amp I can carry to other gigs, and for practice.

So, until I decide on the amp I really, really want, I'll continue to use my SWR LA-15, 100 watt practice amp, and my husband's 1965 Bassman head (all tube) with the Ampeg 4x10hlf cab.

No comments:

Post a Comment