Sunday, October 18, 2020

NEW GEAR (May 2020): VINTAGE 1976 Fender Musicmaster Bass

 

 




    After my disappointment with the Ibanez Artcore bass, I found an amazing little gem at the Shoals Guitar Boutique (Muscle Shoals, AL) when I took the Ibanez up there to place on consignment. 

I spotted the short scale Fender Musicmaster right away--mostly because there are only a few basses in the shop and because I can spot a short scale bass from a mile away at this point. It was my husband's turn to buy some gear, but he didn't find anything he was in love with (in his price range, anyway), so my 16-year-old son (who is an avid guitarist now) and I took home vintage gear instead. 

This 1976 American-made Fender Musicmaster short scale bass has an alder body and maple neck...and is ridiculously comfortable to play. The action was set low (how I like it) and it already had flat wound strings on it, so I was set. It also came with its original case, so that was a plus too. Oh, and I payed less than $1000 for it--so there's that. 

Over five months later, I'm still loving this bass. It plays a lot like my Fender Mustang bass, but is lighter in weight. Technically, this is my first vintage bass, so I plan on hanging on to it forever. 







No comments:

Post a Comment