Friday, September 7, 2018

Trying new strings: D'Addario XL Nylon Tapewounds

After playing with flatwounds for over 7 years, I finally decided to try out some nylon tapewound strings after reading about them and hearing good things from a Guitar Center associate. Since D'Addario is my go-to for strings, I ordered their XL Nylon Tapewounds (medium gauge) to try out on my new Fender Special Edition Deluxe Precision bass.

Being a creature of habit, it takes a lot for me to try something new (especially when strings are close to $40/set), but I'm glad I did in this case. These strings were awesome from the get-go. New flatwound strings always seemed to take a few weeks to adjust to, but these tapewounds were comfortable from the start. They're lightweight enough to hear note definition while retaining a vintage "thumpy" sound --like that of an upright. My fingers can fly up and down the next with ease (I do a good bit of sliding), and there's zero resistance--yet, they're not so slick that I lose control. 

I can't say enough about these strings...mostly because they're perfect for the style of music that I usually play. I haven't tried them with a pick, though, because I play pizzicato 100% of the time. 

Oh, and they're black--which looks super cool.








No comments:

Post a Comment